Thursday, January 11, 2007

Dripping With Dreams


Dreams are postcards from our subconscious, inner self to outer self, right brain trying to cross that moat to the left. Too often they come back unread: "return to sender, addressee unknown." That's a shame because it's a whole other world out there--or in here depending on your point of view.
- Dennis Koenig and Jordan Budde, Northern Exposure, Roots, 1991


I woke up several times during the night just dripping with dreams, really, my mind coated with a condensation of visions and nightmares. Dreams of secret societies (in which I was a member), alien invasions (I was an alien), chases, gunfights and close escapes, and Panama. I wonder what that says about my perception of my own role in society.

Dreams have always been as vivid and real to me as waking life. There are some that stay with me forever. Sometimes this can be tiring. Which reminds me of another quotation about dreams by someone, I don't know who:

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.

Moving on...

The night before last the wind tore off one of our rain gutters, and pushed the vacuum cleaner along the floor until it blocked the front door. Yesterday these "summer breezes" blew the paintings off the walls, knocked a framed photo off a table, tipped over a few of my tagua carvings, blew some pillows off the living room sofa, and just generally caused a ruckus. Needless to say, all of us are unnerved, except perhaps Salma.

Zippy is adjusting well to his new life here in Panama, though the strong winds worry him. I try to give him a lot of attention, particularly by combing him, which he needs desperately with that long fur of his. Panamanian visitors to our house are not used to such a large cat, and keep their distance. Actually that used to happen in Oakland too.

Salma is gradually getting back into her routine. Linda is helping tremendously and I think that once she's gone I may hire a part time nanny to care for Salma in the mornings and early afternoon, while Laura catches up on her sleep and I work.

No comments: